Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reading for Beads

I recently heard the cutest idea for young readers, and I just had to share it here.  A friend's child has a teacher who buys hundreds of beads at the start of the school year (at her own expense if I know teachers).  She also chooses long lengths of cord (satin?) which, when combined with the beads, makes a great bookmark.  Every time a child reads a chapter book, he or she is allowed to choose a bead as a reward.  Some choose beads that represent the book, such as a dog or a rocket ship, while others choose letters for their name.  Over time, the tail on their bookmark gets longer and longer, and the child gets a physical reminder of their reading success.  I would have been SO thrilled by this idea when I was a young child.  I will certainly be trying this lovely little scheme with the baby when she gets to be a few years older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment