Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cast Iron Rocks

I have always loved my Lodge cast iron pans.  I think because my mother had a set from her grandmother it just seems to me that a kitchen is supposed to have some of those heavy beauties.  The only trouble for me was that my mother was still very much using her inherited set when I went to set up my kitchen.  What could I do?  The only option at the time was to NEW pots!  Why is this such a big deal?  Because they come raw and unseasoned, and you have to find a way to get that lovely almost non-stick finish.  I think I used kitchen oil and my oven to bake layer after layer of finish onto those pans.  It was stinky and hard work, and the finish I achieved was never quite good enough.  Imagine my surprise when I read about pre-seasoned Lodge pans!

We actually bought one of these a little while ago, and I can't say enough!  The finish is perfect, and as long as you care for them properly (no dish soap or pot scrubbers!) it lasts and lasts.  No need to deal with plastic-y non-stick pans.  Also, did you know that cooking in cast iron actually adds important iron to your food?  I try to use my cast iron pans as often as possible, and they really do so many jobs well.  When the power goes out (as it does here almost every winter) you can use them on the woodstove without any trouble.  Besides it's sort of a kick to think that you're cooking the meal in much the same way that people did fifty or even a hundred years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment