Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Potty Business

The Baby is getting to an age when we are starting to think about considering talking about the possibility of going potty.  I DO NOT want to make the same mistake as my aunt who made such a fuss over the whole thing that her son stopped going altogether rather than deal with the pressure.  I want it to be easy and low-stress at all times.  I've watched one brother, three cousins, two niecs, and six nanny charges learn to use the bathroom, so I know what a challenge it can be.  I'm hoping we can get things to go off smoothly for our little girl.

Dr. Spock started writing about potty business in the 1930's!  At that time he was countering the militaristic approach where children were strapped to potties at a very early age, and then smacked if they had an accident.  He said that children should, instead, be allowed to play with a potty for several weeks before you even introduce the idea that it can have another function.  Then, he recommends just casually mentioning that potties are places where we can do our business too.  I know he's old school now, but it just seems like common sense to me.  The no pressure approach may well backfire on me, but I'm going to give it a shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment