Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Back-to-School Wardrobe: You

Many women, myself included, would far rather dress the kid than have anything to do with their own clothes.  Nevertheless, we must attend to ourselves lest our kids and husbands be ashamed to be seen with us.  Besides, even mommies deserve a little sprucing up!  If you can, go shopping without the kids (first day they're back in school?) and try to enjoy the experience.  You don't have to spend tons of money to freshen up your closet.  I am BY NO MEANS a fashion maven, but there are a few trends that I've noticed in my magazines and on the web:

1. Flowy, blousy tops  (As long as they aren't too over the top, this can be very wearable)
2. Velvet! (Woohoo!)
3. Menswear (Tux jackets are for dressier times, but anybody can appreciate an oxford)
4. Peplums (This is the cute shaping to jackets and shirts that gives you a great shape if done right)
5. Cargo (pants or skirts, but with less volume than before)
6. Lace (be careful this can go to far so easily)
7. High-waist, wide-leg pants (I know, I know, but times change.  Just get the pair that fits)
8. Skinny jeans (I know, I know I hate them too!)
9.  Leather (When does this ever go out?)
10. Stripes! (Think more French and less Nautical unless you live on the shore and have a yacht)

Please, please, please don't buy or wear any of those nasty furry vests from last year.  It was a bad idea then, and it is an even worse idea now.  Maybe you can save it and turn it into a bear costume for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment