Monday, June 13, 2011

Opening Champagne

Random little tidbit I gleaned from on of my many "how-to" books:  How to open a bottle of champagne without looking like an idiot.  First take off the little wire "cage" around the top.  Then remove the foil.  Finally, hold the cork still and SLOWLY twist the bottle.  This way the cork doesn't come shooting out endangering lives and light fixtures.  Okay I have to admit that I haven't actually tried this since we don't usually keep champagne around the house.  In fact, I don't think I've had any since our wedding, but I do love the idea of being able to pull this off with some finesse.  Maybe I will buy a cheap bottle at Trader Joe's and surprise the husband with my worldy skills.

Bonus:  Did you know that there an old tradition in certain snooty circles of cutting the tops off champagne bottles with a sword?  It's called "Sabering" and my brother learned to do it when he was a bartender in Europe.  He says the pressure of the liquid coming out pushes away any shards of glass.  I think I'll stick with the regular old cork thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment