Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why Godless?

Many may wonder about the inflammatory nature of the name of this blog. Why godless? Isn't that just going to alienate the 80-90% of the population who believe in some form of higher power? What is the author of this blog? Some sort of devil worshipper? No and no.

I got the idea for The Godless Housewife when I was doing some browsing one day. I happened to be searching for a housekeeping/homemaking blog, and I noticed that most of the hits I was getting were for LDS or otherwise Christian focused. In fact, on that day, when I googled "homemaker blog" I got about six million hits. When I removed the words like God, prayer, heaven, and lord, I cut my results by roughly 3/4. In other words, the vast majority of these blogs are religiously focused.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything in particular against these types of blogs, but I just feel that they don't have much to do with me. I am a proud third generation agnostic, and I plan to raise my daughter that way as well. I know I am not the only one out there who thinks this way. There have to be other atheists, agnostics, and other non-Christians, not to mention those who simply choose not to mix home matters with religious ideology. Welcome to the Godless Housewife.

1 comment:

  1. How refreshing! I am looking forward to reading more from you.

    As an atheist, I'm still interested in other people's religious practices and holidays, and enjoy celebrating with friends of various traditions.

    But as a homemaker, I don't need to read blogs about how I should be carrying religious tracts over to new neighbors along with a casserole, how my home supposedly belongs to my husband who supposedly is the supreme head of our family, nor tips on what to dress my kids in for church.

    ReplyDelete