Monday, April 25, 2011

Unexpected Houseguests

Several months ago we experienced that dreaded event, unexpected houseguests!  Those friends or family who arrive one your doorstep to strike fear into your housekeeping heart!  You're ecstatic to see them of course, and you're more than happy to put them up, but what about the mess?!  Will they discover the horror that is your upstairs office?  Will they see the X (soap scum, lint, pet hair, cobwebs, etc) that you've been meaning to clean out of the Y (drain, hallway, kid's room, closet) for the last several months?  Is there even one clean towel that's not shamefully ragged and stained?  Were there ever matching pillow cases for those sheets?  I'll spare you the rest of my thought process at the time.

Unexpected company, weather they stay with you overnight or not, always makes you think about your own housekeeping.  You may have been going along in that oblivious little cycle of feeding and caring for the family without really stopping to assess the over all state of your castle.  Sometimes it takes a little jolt to make you realize that standards are have seriously begun to slip.  This is why so many people observe spring cleaning to get them in the over-hauling mood.  Others throw a party so they are forced to face facts.  Whatever your trick don't let it get to the point where you're frantically opening and closing the guest room door to try and fan a little fresh air before they make it the rest of the way up the stairs.

My houseguest shame has led me to turn over the proverbial new leaf.  Well at least I'm giving it a try.  Being a teacher, my response to any situation where I feel ill-equipped is to do some research.  Therefore,  I've been reading all sorts of books, magazines, and websites about cleaning, organizing, and generally keeping a pleasent home.  Even so I am far from an expert, and any of my family and friends could tell you that I frequently fail and being the perfect housewife.  However, I really am going to try, and I will blog my results, good, bad, and tidy.  Wish me luck.     

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I forgot what a humorous writer you are.

    It's definitely a prompt kick in the pants when unexpected visitors come by. Looking at my house through someone else's eyes always makes me jot down lists of things to clean up and work on after they're gone!

    ReplyDelete