Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween and Sugar

I just sat next to a woman at the park who was telling her friend all about the evils of Halloween sugar.  Did you know that the average piece of Halloween candy has up to 200 calories!  Did you know that it also has an average of one teaspoon of sugar?!  A kid could easily eat a cup of sugar and thousands of calories in just one small bag!  I have no idea if her numbers were correct (they sound reasonable to me) but the part that makes this funny is not her outrage.  In fact I completely agree with her concerns.  What I found funny (and kind of sad) is that she was feeding her child a "fruit" yogurt and "froot" leather at that exact moment she was going off about sugar. I couldn't help myself.  I checked.  The yogurt alone has as much sugar as a can of coke.  Hmmm how many cups of sugar would that be if you eat 365 of them per year?

2 comments:

  1. It's so funny when you find people being hypocritical or scapegoating one thing only to be unaware of the dangers of another choice they've made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did the research and wasn't able to find any Halloween "fun size" or "snack size" candy that was over 100 calories.. so the lady was exaggerating apparently..

    ReplyDelete