Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Stop and Think About Coat Colors

I know this might sound like another crazy mother rant, but it's something I think is a real concern.  I recently bought a jacket for the toddler online, and I was suddenly struck by many of the color choices available.  While it was possible to pick loud plaids, brilliant purples, and traffic sign orange, it was also possible to choose black, brown, dark blue, and even camouflage.  What's the problem with that?  You might ask. 

Imagine you are driving home through a neighborhood filled with kids (I do this every day).  After school the streets around our house practically teem with children both little and big.  Sometimes they are still out there as it begins to get dark, and it can get very difficult to see them before they dart in front of your car.  Now imagine the difference between a black coat and an orange one.  This is also true in the rain, the fog, or any other time.  People who ride bikes or jog near cars usually wear bright colors and even reflectors and lights.  Why would our children going out to play be any different?  I bought a shocking pink plaid for my little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment