Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Prep

Most years, October 1st means a shift into Halloween mode. I love the holiday, and I'm so excited to decorate (a little at a time starting with autumn things) consider costumes, and sometimes plan a party. The last two years however, were not so festive. Two years ago I was greenly pregnant at this time, and not feeling up to doing much. Last year I had a little baby and was newly returned from a major trip, so that was a wash as well. This year, finally, I get to indulge my pumpkin passions once again!

I know, I know Martha and her ilk have already been working on this holiday for weeks if not months. While I love to look at the ideas from those over-achievers, I am not that organized. Two weeks before the holiday is all I can manage. Besides, My Dear Husband (MDH) would not be pleased with me if I filled the house with velvet bats and black tulle in late September. Thus I have a big job to do in a short space of time.

My secret weapon is Grandma. My mom is an amazing gardener and seamstress, so the costumes and pumpkins are fiat accompli (if you know what I mean). In fact, she brought us not only six regular orange pumpkins, but also one massive knobbly green monster.  I think all these beauties will have to grace the front of the house because they will stay so much fresher that way.  That means decorating the front door area is practically half done already.  Add our friendly scarecrow, a spooky "welcome" sign, and a string of lights in the window and you're all set. 

The trend these days (in our neighborhood) seems to be these very elaborate outdoor scenes of graveyards or dungeons or other scary things.  While I applaud the enthusiasm, I can't get behind such over-the-top displays.  Not only are they expensive and time-consuming, but they are also often very scary for the small fry.  I prefer to keep my house looking fun and halloweeny, but still warm and welcoming as well.  I guess maybe this is partly dependant on how old your kids are at the moment. 

Now that outside is pretty much done, I will turn my attention to indoors and also party planning.  I have some things I can use from past years, but I will need to either make or buy other items.  As I mentioned before, Martha is a great inspiration, so I'll certainly be perusing her site.  Another one I like is this blog; which is a complete resource for Halloween party planning.  I love the way it has suggestions for the whole party and not just one or two items.  Hopefully I'll come up with a theme and some activity ideas within the next few days.  I'll keep you posted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment